The plummeting temperatures signal the perfect time to add punch and freshness to a wardrobe to bring on the wintry season. These top fashion trends for the 2013 season were recently spotted during Fashion Week in New York City.
- Layering is Trendy. What your mother always said is true: wearing layers keeps you warm, and you can always peel them away if you get too hot. Start with skinny jeans and tuck them into chunky boots that will keep your feet both dry and warm. Add a long sleeve layering tee under a cable knit sweater and your favorite scarf.
- Contrasting Colors: It is true that you should have the basics, such as neutral color skirts, blouses and tights, in your closet. Cultivating a unique and personable look can be as easy as contrasting colors with those basic pieces. Try adding sparkly or patterned tights to your favorite black pencil skirt or top off a long sleeve cashmere pant suit with a bright scarf in seasonable colors.
- Adding Textures: Textures can make your ensemble pop and keep your wardrobe fresh all season long. Pair some sleek leather pants with faux fur trimmed ankle boots and a button down pea coat for a look that will turn heads.
- Belt it In: Add shape and femininity when you use a belt to accentuate the waistline of a boxy jacket, or one with a masculine cut. You can also define your shape in a soft and romantic way be loosely belting a flowing cashmere sweater.
- Accessorize: The beanie is a hot winter accessory this year. Not only will it keep your head warm and protected, there are various styles to choose from to suit your mood. Wear a slouchy one for those casual days or rock a colorful beanie for contrast.